Monday, July 30, 2012

Turn On the Light!

Sometimes its easier to be in the dark.  Without turning the overhead lights on in the house, we can save electricity, keep the room(s) cooler, or set a mood.  I grew up in a home where the room in which we gathered as a family, the den, was very dark.  Granted it was the 70's, so the dark paneling on the walls and the green shag carpet on the floor were very en vogue.  The problem was, the large picture window that had originally been in the room, providing the only source of natural light, had been replaced years before by a ginormous brick fireplace.  And yes, the brick was dark, too.  It was like a big dark cave in that room.

Please don't get me wrong.  I loved this room.  My parents have since remodeled, opening up the space by tearing down walls and letting in lots more light.  But something about that dark room stuck with me.  Ever since first leaving home 20+ years ago, I've always had to have light.  Lots and lots of light in my living space.  From light wood tones on my cabinets and floors to light colored furniture and bedding and paint on the walls.  I also have a bad habit of turning on and leaving on lights.  You know the old song, "Every light in the house is on?"  Yeah....that's me!  I want it light and bright all around me.  Blinds open, doors open, overhead lights on, lamps on...I love to light it up.

Until bedtime.  When it's time for bed I want it dark.  Don't give me a nightlight.  Don't leave the bathroom or closet light on and crack the door open for me.  I want it to be pitch black.  Total darkness.  If I need to get up during the night and find my way to the kitchen or bathroom, I'll turn on the lamp.  I won't, however, leave one on just in case I may need it.

When we are actively going about our day; when we are awake and alert and have the opportunity to influence or make a difference, we need the light on.  Okay, maybe not EVERY light has to be on like I like, but it would be awfully difficult to be productive during the day on our jobs and in our homes in total darkness.  Could you perform your daily duties in the dark?  Chances are, unless you're blind and have HAD to learn to adapt to life in total darkness, your answer is no.  It's hard to be productive in the dark.

Even God's word says so.  Ephesians 5:11 says that deeds done in darkness are fruitless.  Remember, in the very first chapter of Genesis, God created light.  The darkness was already there, but it wasn't profitable.  The world needed light to operate.  And He called the light, "good."  The darkness, not so much.  Light is necessary if we're going to live fruitfully.  And the Light of God in our lives is necessary if we're going to live the way God intended.  2 Samuel perhaps says it best.  "You Lord are my lamp.  The Lord turns my darkness into light."  Our lives without God are dark.  Unprofitable and unpurposeful.  But once we flip the switch and let the light in, we get a whole new view.

"Whoever walks in the dark does not know where they are going." (John 12:35)  "But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin." (I John 1:7)

Turn on the Light!


No comments:

Post a Comment